Monday, November 10, 2008

genetic lottery

my daughter is an even lighter sleeper than i am, if that's possible. it's amazing to see which traits our children inherit. more like a nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat suspense psycho-thriller. did C get my bullish, hot-headed stubbornness? or will H be handed the same blushing shyness of group situations that caused me to fake knee injuries so i didn't have to compete in HS track, even though i practiced every day with the team?

i know now that H for sure inherited my hyper-vigilant sleep patterns. today i was putting her down for a nap, and giving her a little pinky suck. our faces were mirror images--the young and the aged--inches apart. through the narrow slit of my squinting eyes, i saw that she too had her eyes barely open. i opened mine to see if she was just falling asleep, but as soon as she saw the dark hole of my eyes widen her eyes fluttered open. so i closed mine again to their peeping position. and so did she. it wasn't until i all but fell asleep myself, eyes fully closed, that she followed suit.

then, when i leave the room, i must leave ever-so-slowly, lest she sense the pressure change in the room. no joke! if i leave quickly, her acute senses stir and she's looking about to see what in god's name is going on, as if a tornado just tore roof off the bedroom.

No comments: